Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Phase Two - Post Production: Part 1


So after two long weeks out at California City Studios, which was
great, it's the Phase Two post production train full steam ahead. I
(Jason) have the pleasure of editing this great footage. But be weary,
it is no easy task. The film was shot on not one, but two RED ONE
cameras. If you have ever worked with RED (.r3d files) footage before,
you know my pain.

At first I wasn't quite sure the process, as there is no official
workflow for .r3d files. We are working on a NEW top of the line,
decked out Mac Pro. That takes care of the "what will render this
beast" question people had. The real problem ahead is where to start.
I wasn't exactly sure so I called our buddies at Blare Media, in
Fresno, who helped us out. Justin and Ian McAleece from Blare media
actually shot the entire film, and did a fine job at that. This wasn't
their first RED rodeo either. Lucky for us, Justin had some pointers
to get us going.

So now I have the machine, some time and a method of doing this thing
called post production.

> enter cricket noise <

It's a tough road ahead, but I weild a mighty quad core Mac Pro, dual
24" cinema displays and the new FInal Cut Studio 3! Whomever lay at
the end of my mouse, prepare to be edited.....Okay, that was a little
lame, but hopefully you can tell by my energy, i am super excited
about editing this film!

Wish me luck.

I will keep the blog updated with the progress of post and upload some
screen shots. Check back soon for the next part in our Phase Two -
Post Production journey!

0 comments: